Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Third Day / Wednesday, July 27th



Parable of the Forgiving Father
(Luke 15.11-32)

While he was still a long way off, his father caught sight of his son, and was filled with compassion. He ran to his son, embraced him and kissed him.  His son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you; I no longer deserve to be called your son.’ But his father ordered his servants, ‘Quickly bring the finest robe and put it on him; put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet.  Take the fattened calf and slaughter it. Then let us celebrate with a feast, because this son of mine was dead, and has come to life again; he was lost, and has been found.’”

Pope Francis’s Commentary
   This teaching of Jesus is very important: our condition as children of God is the fruit of the love of the Father’s heart; it does not depend on our merits or on our actions, and thus no one can take it away, not even the devil! No one can take this dignity away.
   …In any situation of life, I must not forget that I will never cease to be a child of God, to be a child of the Father who loves me and awaits my return. Even in the worst situation of life, God waits for me, God wants to embrace me, God expects me.
(General Audience. May 11, 2016)

Examination of Conscience
Another problem with mercy is that, like the older son in this parable, we don’t think it’s fair.
Can you think of instances in which you withhold mercy because it doesn’t seem fair?

Today’s Prayer
Divine God of Mercy, help us always remember that you care for us as a mother cares for her children, even when we least deserve it.  Help us to be merciful to others even when it doesn’t seem fair.

3 comments:

  1. I think of many situations when I think things are not fair it's as easy as turning on television an watching a person speak about supporting Trump. I have no Mercy for people who shoot guns. I have no mercy for bullies. But, I will keep praying for all of them and pray that they will learn to think in a peaceful more educated way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can think of situations in life when I've withheld mercy, trying to justify it because it wasn't fair. A friend of mine loss her husband to an act of violence. There was nothing fair about it,yet my friend and her deceased husband loved the Lord. Because God showed,mercy to them Jesus helped her.She wasn't perfect she had anger, questioned how this was fair. Her husband was a good Christian helped so many people. Yet in the end.she prayed for strength and Jesus helped her to bravely show mercy, forgiveness to person who took her husbands life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray for mercy to those that look for freedom but attempt to take other freedom away makes no sense the work of the devil.

    ReplyDelete